Homemade Beauty Products
Not only is it important what you put in your body, but also what you put on your skin can affect your overall health. Here are some DIY chemical-free beauty products that will beautify from head to toe.
Watch our segment on CTV Morning News here: Natural Beauty Products on CTV
Gentle Honey Cinnamon Face Exfoliator
Raw honey has natural anti-bacterial properties and has been used for centuries as an effective skin treatment, while baking soda is a gentle exfoliant and helps remove dead skin cells without causing too much irritation. Last but not least, cinnamon is a natural acne treatment, antiseptic, cleanses pores, and stimulates blood vessels on the surface of the skin.
- Mix the honey, baking soda, and cinnamon until they form a thick paste.
- Add water if needed and mix well.
- Wet your face with warm water.
- Apply scrub to face rubbing gently in small circles.
- Leave on your face for 10-15 minutes, then wash off with warm water.
- Moisturize as needed.
Avocado + Egg Yolk Hair Mask
Avocado contains potent phytochemicals, antioxidants like vitamin A, E, D and B6, amino acids and minerals like potassium, copper, iron and magnesium that add shine and luster to dull hair. Protein and lecithin in egg yolks strengthens hair follicles and roots, leaving your hair nourished and moisturized.
- Make sure your hair is dry when you apply this mask.
- Using your fingertips, scoop out some of the mask and apply to your head, starting at the scalp and root of your hair moving toward the tips of your hair. Separate your hair into several partings so that the mask is easy to apply.
- Leave the avocado hair mask treatment on your scalp for about 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and shampoo and condition as usual.
Warm Vanilla Sugar & Coconut Body Scrub
Gently exfoliate and moisturize with this delicious body scrub! Coconut oil not only deeply penetrates the skin to moisturize, but is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and healing.
- Melt your coconut oil over a stove top, just until liquid.
- Then in a small bowl combine your coconut oil and sugar, blending well enough to eliminate any lumps.
- Then add your vanilla essential oil to the mixture drop by drop, being sure to blend mix after each addition.
- Once mixed, scrub should be placed in an airtight glass container. Use within 6 months.
Lavender Sea Salt Detox Bath
Epsom salts (aka magnesium sulfate) flushes toxins and replenish magnesium levels leaving you feeling relaxed and comforted. Baking soda is known for its cleansing ability and even has anti-fungal properties.
- Dissolve salt, epsom salt, and baking soda in boiling water in a quart size jar and set aside.
- Fill tub with warm/hot water and add apple cider vinegar. Pour salt mixture in and add essential oils if using.
- Soak in bath for 30 minutes or as long as desired. Note that with any detox bath, you may feel tired or lightheaded when you get out.
- This bath is great for soothing skin irritation, boosting magnesium levels and overall detoxing.