Rachel talks about the best Fall Foods for Weight Loss with Jeff from CTV Ottawa Morning Live. Click here to view video!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
• ½ cup steamed pumpkin- fresh is best but canned will do in a pinch
• 3-5 dates (or honey) to sweeten
• ¼ cup canned light coconut milk
• 1 cup water
• ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (sweetened with stevia)
• 5 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients in a blender and serve immediately.
3 large apples
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tsp cinnamon
• Line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat oven to 150F.
• Slice apples into very thin slices approx 1/8-1/4 of an inch in width. Leave skin on. You may use a mandolin if you have one.
• Lay apples on parchment paper, sprinkle with lemon juice and cinnamon
• Bake until crispy
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 TBS oil
2 tsp sea salt (or any spice)
1. Rinse pumpkin seeds under cold water and pick out the pulp and strings. (This is easiest just after you’ve removed the seeds from the pumpkin, before the pulp has dried.)
2. spread oil on a baking sheet
3. Place the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet, stirring to coat.
4. Sprinkle with salt and bake at 325 degrees F until toasted, about 15-20 minutes, checking and stirring after 10 minutes.
5. Let cool and store in an air-tight container.
Butternut Squash Soup
• 1 chopped onion
• 2 TBS coconut oil
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp nutmeg
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
• 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
1. Melt coconut oil in large pot
2. Put in onions and sautee until soft
3. Add in spices and stir well
4. Add squash and broth and boil until soft
5. Puree soup using a hand blender, or transfer into a food processor or blender.
• 5 medium sized tomatoes, quartered
• 2 TBS olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
• ½ cup sliced fresh basil leaves
• 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1. Coat tomatoes in 1 TBS olive oil and roast in oven for 30 minutes at 350.
2. Heat 1 TBS of olive oil in soup pot
3. Sauté onion and garlic until soft
4. Add roasted tomatoes and continue to sauté for 1 minute
5. Add stock, basil, and tomato paste, s&p and stir until tomato paste is mixed in
6. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes
7. Use a hand blender to puree, or transfer into food processor or blender