How to get the best sleep
· How much sleep do we need? 7 to 9 hours.
· Why is sleep so important? Sleep is the time when your appetite hormones restore to normal levels. If you don’t get enough sleep you will crave sugar, carbs and caffeine.
AVOID- foods containing the amino acid tyramine- increases the hormone norepinephrine- the fight or flight (stress) hormone
ENJOY- Foods containing the amino acid tryptophan- converted into serotonin and melatonin (sleep promoting
neurotransmitters)! Instead of aged cheeses and cured meats have turkey or tuna.
2. AVOID- high sugar foods- can cause nocturnal hypoglycemia, which causes the release of hormones that regulate glucose levels (adrenalin and cortisol) which stimulate the brains.
· Instead of cereal or ice cream have banana with nut butter (bonus, these foods also contain tryptophan and nuts contain magnesium= the calming mineral)
· Caffeine- can take 4-6 hours to metabolize, so have it only before 2pm
· Alcohol- releases adrenaline, impairs the transport of tryptophan into the brain which helps you fall asleep as it leaves the body. The adrenaline will trigger the flight or flight respond which is not good for restful sleep. Also you body temperature will rise.
· Herbal teas- Chamomile, Passion flower, Valerian, Catnip
· Magnesium drink- may help with restless legs, helps you to get into a deep sleep- when you produce growth hormones!
Can purchase CALM Magnesium brand.
Avoid blue light– cell phones, computers, iPads, TV, etc
· Shuts down production of melatonin
· Stress producing
a. Instead- read a book or write in a journal, have a bath, stretch
b. Alcohol- Impairs the transpire of tryptophan to the brain. Have the below instead before bed!
Watch it here: http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=458560&binId=1.1164511&playlistPageNum=1
1 tablespoon dried lemon balm
2 teaspoons dried peppermint
2 slices dried licorice root
1 teaspoon of catnip
honey (as needed)
Place a kettle onto the stove and bring to a boil.
While the water comes to a boil, you can crush the herbs and strain them letting them sit in the water or you can just place them whole into a tea strainer ball! Pour the water over the and add honey as needed!