Rachel and Kurt talk healthy BBQ options on CTV Morning Live.
• 4 (4-6oz) chicken breast (or shrimp, steak, turkey, tofu)
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves chopped garlic
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 orange bell pepper
• 1 yellow bell pepper
• 1 large onion
• 1 cup grape tomatoes
1. Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and place in a large ziplock bag
2. Drizzle olive oil over chicken and sprinkle with garlic, mix with spoon or hand to ensure chicken is evenly coated
3. Seal bag and place in refrigerator for 1-8 hours
4. Chop all vegetables (except tomatoes) into 1-inch pieces
5. Skewer chicken and vegetables, alternating.
6. Grill skewers for 12-15 minutes, rotating every 4 minutes, until chicken is cooked thoroughly
Note: Wooden bamboo skewers are inexpensive and easy to find, but they must be soaked at least 30 minutes in water (preferably warm to the touch) prior to use. This keeps them from easily catching fire. If you get into the shish kebab habit, then you may wish to invest in stainless steel reusable skewers.
• 1 6oz can of tomato paste
• 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 4 tbsp maple syrup or honey
• 1 tsp black pepper
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
2. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
• 4 cups mixed greens
• 1 cup fresh local strawberries, sliced
• ¼ red onion, chopped
• ¼ cup walnuts
• 3 tbsp raspberry balsamic vinegar (or 1 tbsp raspberry jam, and 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar)
• 1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Top greens with strawberries, onion and walnuts
2. In a separate jar pour dressing ingredients in and shake well until evenly combined.
3. Drizzle dressing unto salad
• 1 litre of cold water
• 2 lemons
• honey or stevia (to taste)
1. Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons into a pitcher of water (can add more or less lemon depending on flavour preference)
2. Add honey or stevia to taste
Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
• 1 frozen banana
• ½ cup frozen strawberries
1. Process in food processor until smooth.