Ottawa loves their shawarmas and we do too! So check out this marinade for authentic shawarma chicken and tabouli that will make your neighbourhood shawarma spot jealous! Enjoy!!
• 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 3 tbsp of chilli powder
• 3 tbsp dried parsley
• 1/4 cup of chopped white onion or shallot
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil(since this marinade is mostly dry, you might need to add more to spread it around as much as possible)
• 1/4 of lemon juice
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed(left whole just slightly mashed to infuse marinade)
• 3 tbsp of Herbamare (if you haven’t already tried this already, you have to! It’s an organic salt, herb and veggie mixture that adds amazing flavour to any dish) * see below!
• 2 tbsp of cinnamon
• 2 tbsp of paprika
• 2 tbsp of pepper
• 3-4 tbsp of cumin
• 4 tbsp of mustard powder
Method: Place whole chicken breasts in a freezer ziplock bag or glass Tupperware container. Pour marinade on top, mix throughly. Marinate for 2-3 hours minimum. I grilled mine on the BBQ but you can pan fry in olive oil or bake with this marinade. Slice chicken for salad or make a shawarma with whole wheat pita bread and top with hummus veggies and your favourite toppings. If you have a George Forman, grill your shawarma for a few minutes before eating and voila! Restaurant style shawarma! Enjoy!!
• 1 head of curly parsley, chopped
• 1 white onion, finely chopped
• 4-6 large tomatoes, chopped
• 1/2 cup of quinoa, cooked and cooled
• 1-2 lemons(more if you like more acidity, lemon also helps cut the strength of the raw onion)
• 1/2 cup of olive oil
• 3 tbsp of a Herbamare * See below
This recipe is quite easy and so delicious! I replaced the cracked wheat for quinoa to make it gluten free and add more protein. Chop all veggies, mix together with quinoa in a salad bowl, drizzle with olive oil, lemon, and Herbamare. That’s it! Keep cool until ready to eat!
*Herbamere can be bought here http://herbamare.us