Festive Gifts from the Kitchen
The holiday season is upon us! Why not get creative by making special gifts in the kitchen this year!? Here are 5 gift ideas that we shared on CTV this morning!
Check out our segment here: CTV Morning Live: Gifts from the Kitchen
Perfect Peppermint Sea Salt Scrub
Body scrubs are delightful treatments for the body and soul that engage the senses and leave your skin feeling deliciously smooth. Easy to make, a homemade body scrub usually has 3 main components – a carrier oil, an essential oil, and either sugar or salt for the scrubbing effect.
2 cups sea salt
1 cup extra virgin olive oil or almond oil
40-60 drops peppermint essential oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the sea salt and the base oil. Stir to blend. Add essential oil of choice drop by drop, blending after each addition.
- Place scrub in small glass jars with a tight fitting lid and package with a pretty bow.
Raspberry Chia Jam with Orange Zest
No need for excess sugar, this jam is a flavourful spread you can use on your oatmeal, in smoothies, or spread on some sprouted toast.
3 cups raspberries, frozen or fresh
1 juice of orange
¼ cup maple syrup or local honey
3 Tbs. chia seed, whole seeds
2 Tbs. orange zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
- In a small sauce pan, bring raspberries, fresh orange juice, and maple syrup to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add chia seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Stir until combined and allow to sit until thickened.
- Keep cool in the refrigerator.
- Place in small mason jars and give as delicious gifts!
Thanks to Nutritionstripped.com for the awesome recipe idea!
Ginger Jingle Balls
For the gingerbread lovers out there, these cookies are the perfect spicy treat using all healthier alternatives. The mild flavour from the coconut oil and gluten free flour heightens the richness of the ginger and other spices.
1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
1 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 free-range egg
3 Tbsp molasses
1/4 cup coconut sugar, for rolling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, spices, and salt together.
- In separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat coconut oil with sugar until creamy. Beat in egg, then molasses.
- Working in 3 batches, beat in flour mixture just until mixed.
- Roll dough into small balls (about 1 in or 3 cm), then lightly roll in coconut sugar, if using. Spread out on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until edges are firm, about 10 minutes.
Sexy Maca Crunch Truffles
Great for combating stress through the holidays, maca is a key ingredient in these decadent truffles, also known for balancing hormones and improving energy.
1/2 cup raw maca powder
1/2 cup raw cacao
A pinch of sea salt
1 cup nut butter
2 tsp vanilla bean extract
2-3 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch cayenne pepper.
¼ cup almond milk
1/3 cup shredded coconut or raw cacao nibs for rolling
- Combine all ingredients (except coconut) and blend in food processor until smooth. Remove by spoonfuls and roll into balls.
- Spread coconut on a flat surface and roll balls until evenly coated.
- Store truffles in fridge.
Spicy Goji Coconut Dark Chocolate Bark
With a base of high quality dark chocolate, you can use any nuts, seeds, dried fruits and spices to make this decadent dessert a party favourite.
2 cups dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup dried goji berries
1/2 cup cashews, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
Sprinkle with course sea salt
See directions below.
Dark Chocolate Pomegranate & Pistachio Bark
2 cups dark chocolate chips
½ cup pomegranate arils
Zest of 1 large orange
½ cup pistachios, chopped
Sprinkle with course sea salt (optional)
Directions for Both Chocolate Barks:
- On the stove top, using a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate until smooth.
- Remove from heat , add the spices and half the topping ingredients (1/4 cup of each).
- Stir until combined.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly on the parchment.
- Top with remaining toppings, and press lightly to secure them into the chocolate.
- Place bark in the fridge for minimum 1 hour until hardened.
- Break into large chunks and enjoy or wrap in packets as delicious gifts!