Top 10 Tips for Staying Healthy Through the Holidays
The holiday season has arrived and with that, party festivities of drinking, indulging, and being merry! Here are our top 10 tips for staying in control and feeling well as the New Year approaches.
- Stay hydrated. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily, including one glass before every meal. This will prevent you from overeating and help you stay more in control of your food consumption. Water helps flush toxins from your cells and aids in fat loss.
- Fill up on fiber rich snacks. Choose the party snacks that are richest in minerals, vitamins and fiber. Fiber keeps you fuller longer. Good choices are veggies and dip, pita and hummus, baked spring rolls, salsa and blue corn chips. Avoid trans-fat laden mini quiches, sausage rolls, bread with mayo-based dips and sugar packed snacks.
- Bring along your healthy favourites. If you’re heading to a holiday potluck, be the smart guest who brings along the fresh spring rolls, guacamole, roasted beets, or smoked salmon, Indulge in those instead of the cheese ball.
- Stick with your exercise routine. Although this can be a busy time of year, aim to exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Add exercise where you can by take the stairs, parking further away, or getting up half hour earlier to fit in your workout.
- If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation and choose the options that are lower in sugar. Go for a glass of red wine instead of a cocktail, and be sure to hydrate before and after.
- “Healthify” traditional dishes. Wow your guests with curry sweet potato instead of mashed potatoes, wild rice stuffing instead of breaded, or a lemony kale salad instead of mushy green beans.
- Plan ahead! Never go to a party hungry. Eat a meal or a light snack before the holiday party. This will prevent you from overeating those calorie-rich appetizers such as cheese sticks and holiday cookies.
- Get your 8 hours of sleep per night. It may be tough every night, but catch up on those important zzz’s whenever you can. If you’re already feeling the stress of this wonderful time of year, good quality sleep can be the best thing to get you through.
- No skipping meals. If you’re heading to a big holiday dinner, you may be tempted to skip meals during the day to save your appetite, but instead this will most likely cause you to over indulge. Start with a protein-rich breakfast and eat small, nutritious meals throughout the day to keep you satisfied.
- Stay positive! Don’t get discouraged if you indulge in one too many drinks or treats at one party. Get back on track the next day by focusing on fresh whole foods and diving into the veggie tray at your next event. Enjoy the season and don’t be too hard on yourself!
Happy and Healthy Holidays from Caven Nutrition Group!