Blueberry Elk Burgers
These are so delicious and easy to make! Elk is lower in saturated fat and higher in omega-3s than conventionally raised beef so it’s a great alternative.
1lb ground elk from Bearbrook Farm (www.bearbrookfarm.com)
2 eggs- always choose free range, can be found at Bearbrook Farm
1 cup blueberries, cut in half or chopped in processor from Rochon Farm (www.jardinrochongarden.ca)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Form into patties using hands or patty maker
3. Grill patties to an internal temperature of 140 degrees for medium.
4. Meatloaf Option: Place all ingredients into a glass loaf pan and cook at 375F for 60-90 minutes until thoroughly cooked
Local Greens Salad
1 head of romaine, or 3 cups arugula or any greens- from Roots and Shoots Organic Farm (www.rootsandshoots.com)
2 medium beets
¼ cup Goat cheese- from Alpenblick Farm (www.alpenblickfarm.ca)
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1. Peel beets and cut into ½ inch pieces. Place in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, roast at 400F for 15-20 minutes, let cool
2. Mix greens, beets and goat cheese in salad bowl
3. Mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil in glass jar and drizzle over salad
Garlic Green Beans
2 lbs green beans (washed and ends trimmed off)-from Roots and Shoots Organic Farm (www.rootsandshoots.com)
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
2 cloves crushed or chopped garlic (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place greens in a large baking pan
3. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and garlic, and mix thoroughly
4. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes