On CTV Morning Live today we looked at sugar and the amounts we consume in everyday foods.
The results might surprise you.
– It is found in 80% of packaged foods
– The average North American consumes the equivalent of 19.5 teaspoons a day in added sugars
– There are no federal guidelines recommending a limit.
– No more than 9 teaspoons a day for men and no more than 6 teaspoons a day for women, according to the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
– Fructose, a common type of sugar, can damage your liver more than other kinds of sugar — just like too much alcohol can.
– One 12-ounce can of soda a day can increase your risk of dying of heart disease by one-third, and increase the risk of childhood obesity by 60%
There is Hope
Instead of sugar try:
-Stevia or Xyitol
-Add cinnamon or vanilla extract
-Use fruit to sweeten by adding it in pure form (not juices) into your smoothies or to your yogurt
Try this delightful Frozen Yogurt!
2 frozen bananas (cut in pieces ahead of time for easy blending)
2 TBSP unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a blender and process. This uses no sugar except for the fruit!