Get your daily dose of coconuts folks!
Although many have avoided coconut oil because of it’s high saturated fat content, these saturated fats are not like the others. Containing over 50% lauric acid, the MCFA (medium chain fatty acids) are a wonder for your health!
Check out our live segment on CTV Morning Live here!
Some (of the many!) Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Helps to speed weight loss when consumed daily; coconut oil has thermogenic properties which actually help you burn fat and boosts your metabolism
- Improves cholesterol ratios by increasing the good HDL cholesterol in the blood and reduces LDL
- Can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood-sugar control
- Promotes healthy brain function; research has shown the MCFAs can improve Alzheimer’s symptoms
- Maintains healthy and youthful looking skin
- Antibacterial/fungal properties can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida
What to look for when purchasing?
- Quality: Certified Organic when possible to avoid harmful chemicals
- Processing: Look for Virgin, Unrefined, Centrifuged or Cold Pressed; avoid refined, bleached, and deodorized
- Packaging: Glass container is important as oils tend to leach toxic chemicals from plastics
Here are some brands that we like: Ojio, Artisana, Maison Orphee, Nutiva (only glass bottle), St. Francis.
Practical Uses for Coconut Oil
1) Beauty: Oil Pulling for dental health/hygiene, body moisturizer, natural deodorant
2) Baby Care: natural diaper cream, great for eczema and cradle cap
3) Kitchen Use: Cooking, baking, adding to smoothies, or even eat tbsp as snack!
Try this delicious recipe!
Raw Coconut Lime Macaroons
1. In a bowl, combine the almond flour and shredded coconut (reserving ¼ cup for rolling in).
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, coconut oil, vanilla, lime zest and salt until well blended.
3.Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
4. Using a rounded teaspoon measure, roll rounded scoops between your palms until spherical. Gently roll in shredded coconut until well coated and place on a tray in the fridge overnight (or at least 3-4 hours).
5. Store in the fridge or freezer for a quick, nutritious snack on the go!