Summer is the perfect time to take a road trip and it’s good to have a food game plan. We have the road map to follow to make the best for your choices on long drives.
1. Avoid fast food. Remember the sugar from pop spikes your blood sugar and makes you tired which is not good for driving and the fast food will make you sluggish.
2. Be prepared with a cooler bag and icepacks and garbage bag for the car. We love the awesome bags from mythirtyone and they fit lots of food. Find them here http://www.mythirtyone.ca/ashley
3. Focus on getting Protein from hardboiled eggs, grassfed beef jerky, nuts (portion control),roasted chickpeas and protein powders mixed with water.
4. Snack on Fruits and Veggies! Veggies should be the only thing you mindlessly eat because that is what happens when you drive.
– Apples, bananas and berries are great to take with you and give you some natural sugar to keep you going.
3. Drinks: Stick to water, and plain tea and coffee. Don’t add 3 creams and 3 sugars.
It’s good to take pee break every 2 to 3 hours and move around as well!
Below we have a recipe for a super portable energy filled snack.
Remember 2 of these will go a long way on your trip as a quick pick me up snack!
20 to 30 pitted medjool dates
½ cup soaked almonds or cashews (discard the nut water)
1 scoop Vegan Protein Powder I used Genuine Health Vegan Protein Powder
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
pinch of salt
Place 20 to 30 pitted dates in a small food processor or blender. Pulse or blend for about a minute or until your dates are chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is combined. You can add more nuts if you find them too moist or more liquid if you find then too dry. You can easily play with the ratios. This should make about 15 to 20 small energy orbs!
Put you hemp and coconut into bowls. Once you have created the balls roll them in a bowls of either hemp OR coconut OR a combo! Store leftovers in the fridge.
Catch the segment here: http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=667458&binId=1.1487308&playlistPageNum=1