Grain Free Cinnamon Buns make eating grain free super enjoyable. When you cut out grains it can be difficult to find the baking flours that work for you, but I assure you, this will work for your tastebuds! 🙂
Cinnamon Bun Dough
-1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
-1 tbsp honey or 1 tbsp of Xylitol for sugar free available here:
-2 tsps vanilla extract
-1/4 cup Yoso Coconut Yogurt
-1/2 cup coconut flour
-1 and 1/4 almond flour ( Bob’s Red Mill Brand is great, and available at the (Natural Food Pantry) OR sunflower seed flour works as well for allergies
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
-1 tsp of salt
-1 tbsp cinnamon (like cinnamon bun inception)
Cinnamon Bun Filling
-2 tbsps cinnamon
-1 generous dollop of honey optional)
-1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates soaked for at least thirty minutes and then chopped up or blended in a food processor (but not needed if you can chop finely)
-1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, finely chopped OR to make it nut free use chopped pepitas
For the Topping (I left this out but adds a nice addition)
Coconut cream recipe
(Make sure you “ice” these right before serving. Another option is to just put a dollop of raw honey on the top!
How to make it all:
1. If you have not already, begin to soak your 1/2 cup of dates.
2. In a bowl melt your 1/4 cup coconut oil in the microwave or on in a pot on the stove. Then in a large bowl crack your eggs then whisk, add in your melted oil, honey or Xylitol, vanilla and coconut yogurt and combine!
3. Next to the large bowl of wet ingredients, add in your almond flour or seed flour and stir. Next add in your coconut flour, baking soda and powder,salt and cinnamon. Stir well to combine. If the dough is still wet add in in more flour and if the dough is too dry in a bit of water or try the coconut yogurt for added moisture.
4.Prepare a large sheet of wax paper and throw some flour on it. We used coconut four. Next take the dough and form into a ball and place on the wax paper and roll out with a rolling pin, wine bottle whatever you have GOT!
Once you have rolled it out evenly enough prepare your filling!
5. Chop your soaked dates and walnuts. Add in honey(if using) and cinnamon and mix together or place all in a food processor.
6. Once prepared spread out the filling in the dough evenly going towards the edges. Once even roll up gently fixing any holes.
7. Gently then slice cinnamon bun sized portions ( differs for people) and then you bake at 330 F for 10 to 15 minutes. They will be browned on the top when ready!
Watch them so they do not burn!!!